We all know Mr. Rogers, the gentle, kind hearted, soft spoken gentleman known for creating, hosting, and composing the theme music for the educational preschool television series Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Not only was Fred Rogers a television personality, producer, writer, puppeteer, and Presbyterian minister, he was also the victim of having his car stolen!
Mr. Rogers had an old plain Chevrolet Impala that was taken close to the television station that he worked out of. He filed a police report and the story was big news in a variety of newspapers and on radio and television stations around town. Even thieves and robbers have a soft spot in their heart for this genuinely kindhearted man because the vehicle was returned 2 days later. When the thief realized whose car he had stolen, he returned it to the same parking spot that it was stolen from 48 hours later. However, there was just 1 thing missing and that was a director’s chair with Mr. Roger’s name on it! Rumor has it that there was an apology note that said, “If we’d known it was yours, we never would have taken it.”
Some quick suggestions for protecting your vehicle from getting stolen:
1. Remove the keys - This might seem obvious, but 10 percent of cars are stolen with keys left in the ignition.
2. Use anti-theft devices like steering wheel clubs and pedal locks that are visible to the thief.
3. Park in your garage or a high-visibility area where thieves can't operate in private.
4. Have the vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on the glass and other parts of the car. This discourages chop shops.
5. Consider tracking services such as Lo-Jack.
At Japanese Motor Works, we are passionate about automobiles, and we hope you feel inspired to trust our auto repair capabilities and our highly-skilled team of ASE-Certified auto technicians. To schedule an appointment, call us at 706-744-4814. Japanese Motor Works is located at 200 Firefighter Court in Athens, GA 30607.